by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a good hardware solution for generating shaped bokeh? I know Lensbaby has a set of filters that give various shapes — is there a similar solution for other lens?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Bokeh Masters Kit

Available here:

share|improve this answer
This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I wonder if it's worth the $25 to have someone else cut the holes. – beggs Jul 21 '10 at 5:10
It's not, get a rubber band, cut the stencils yourself in a few minutes. You can buy shaped hole punches to make different shapes easier. – camflan Sep 12 '12 at 15:57

Just cut a hole in a piece of paper, and tape it over a wide-aperture lens? See, for instance, this link and this link.

share|improve this answer
Yea, I've done this. Looking to se if there is a more "manufactured" and less "D.I.Y" solution. – beggs Jul 20 '10 at 9:10
As far as I can see, all the "manufactured" solutions amount to having somebody else cut a hole in a piece of paper (or, more likely, in a plastic lens cap). The lensbaby "creative apertures kit" is pretty much exactly that, by the look of it. – Matt Bishop Jul 20 '10 at 9:24
Well, technically the Lensbaby ones are metal, but that's just because the tool to remove them from the system is a magnet. :) – John Rudy Jul 20 '10 at 14:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.