Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Nikon D3000 that I use frequently on my trips. It takes wonderful photos, but at times, especially in direct sun light, I see a flare showing up.

Someone mentioned that a filter would resolve this. I am a complete novice when it comes to photography, and I know next to nothing about filters.

What type of filter should I be looking for?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Honestly I would not expect any filters to help compared to not using one, since they add a flat reflection surface.

However, some filters add more flare than others. A filter that is multi-coated or - even better- super multi-coated adds less reflections and therefore less flare.

To reduce flare if the sun is not shining directly into your lens, try a lens hood first. If it does not enough, then you need additional shading. Anything that does not obstruct the subject will do (hand, hat, a friend, etc).

Keep in mind that if you use a full-frame lens on a cropped-sensor camera, the hood supplied with your lens cannot be adequate. This is also the case for a zoom lens at any focal other than its widest point.

share|improve this answer
thank you for that explanation. So it's an erroneous belief that lenses prevent lens flare? What are they for, then? – Mohamad Feb 17 '11 at 1:09
@Mohamad - For info on filters and purpose, have a look at this question:… – John Cavan Feb 17 '11 at 1:14
Itai has it right, the best filter for preventing lens flare is no filter. – Shizam Feb 17 '11 at 1:27
Just a minor comment on your final sentence, Itai... some lenses such as the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L actually zoom "the wrong way", it is physically longest at 24mm and shortest at 70mm. Since the lens-hood is fixed to the rear tube of the lens, not the front tube, this means that the hood is actually quite effective throughout the zoom range. Clever, clever Japanese engineers... – Staale S Feb 17 '11 at 3:54
@Staale That is clever. – Evan Krall Feb 17 '11 at 6:49

A polarizing filter may help in many situations. How to best use it is well beyond the scope of this answer block. But that's the only type of filter I would expect to be of any help. It wont eliminate a flare, but may reduce it.

share|improve this answer
A filter, any filter, is a flat pane of glass precisely parallel to the image sensor in the camera. This situation is just asking for flare... no filter will do anything at all to prevent flare, but some are worse than others. A polarizer is a useful filter, yes, but will potentially flare just like any other. – Staale S Feb 17 '11 at 3:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.