My main focus area in photography is dance; and at that mostly social dancing.
This usually means:
- spontaneous action, no way to stage anything or prepare beyond being "in the moment and very observant"
- low light and no flash allowed
- being unobtrusive to not disturb the dancers
And it also means:
- difficult choices when selecting how to take pictures, like, for example: motion blur (½ s) vs. as short exposures as possible (usually 1/60 or 1/90s)
- prime lenses with very wide aperture, but very shallow Depth of Field
And there's probably more.
What I am looking for is inspiration in the form of
- photographers who also specialize in dance photography
- articles that talk about these "extreme" conditions
- groups/forums to exchange ideas or have pictures looked over by the like-minded
- any "unusual" pieces of advice that might not be obvious or would be overlooked by someone without years of experience.