by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've found it really difficult to pinpoint exactly what remotes are compatible with the Canon EOS 60D.

The camera specifications say, "N3 type wired remote control" (which doesn't mean a lot to me).

Canon's AU website has no remote accessories listed for the camera, and the TC80N3 remote (which I think might work) doesn't have the 60D listed as a compatible camera.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to which remotes are compatible?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

'N3' refers to the connector type for the remotes... It is a proprietary Canon standard, and Canon remotes which are compatible with the 60D have 'N3' in their model numbers, specifically:

  • Canon Remote Switch (RS-80N3)
  • Timer Remote Controller (TC-80N3)

There are also several companies that make N3 compatible wired remotes, including offerings from Adidt, Nova Photography, and Seculine. Generally speaking these tend to be cheaper (sometimes significantly so) but as you might imagine, quality can range from excellent to abysmal, so look for reviews before buying off-brand.

share|improve this answer
2 and eBay have lots of cheap, aftermarket N3 compatible triggers for the fraction of the Canon OEM price. For what a remote essentially is, I'd get the aftermarket one twice before shelling the money for an OEM remote. – ysap Jan 10 '11 at 13:47
BTW, the Rebel series has a standard 2.5mm stereo connector instead of the N3. This makes it possible to easily build a DIY remote from cheap available parts. – ysap Jan 10 '11 at 13:50
Ah, but the TC-80N3 is a great remote, it is way more than just a shutter release. Love mine for those situations which need it. – Paul Cezanne Apr 19 '12 at 10:37

The Canon 60D which I own, purchased in USA, has a 2.5mm remote connector just as EOS Rebel models have, not the N3 type connector in the high-end Canon models.

share|improve this answer
I can confirm that the 60D does have a 2.5mm connector, not the N3-type. Should be possible to find this information in the manual. – Håkon K. Olafsen Apr 19 '12 at 6:41

Depending on your needs you probably could get away with a super cheap IR remote and Magic Lantern. Magic lantern will let you do stuff from timelapses to dual-iso/hdr shots and more. Search google for magic lantern, go to the main site and read about it to decide if it's for you.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.