by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can use the screen as a viewfinder or the smaller, eye viewfinder on most cameras. Is there a proper name for the eye viewfinder?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It's simply called the viewfinder. It can be optical (on an SLR) or electronic (on a mirrorless camera, basically it's a second, smaller screen). Don't say viewfinder when talking about the back display/screen, that will only confuse people - the terminology for using the display to compose your shots is live preview.

share|improve this answer

Typically viewfinder means the one you bring to your eye, and the screen on the back is more commonly referred to as the screen or LCD. :)

If you want to be more specific, you can call it an eye-level viewfinder to make it distinct from using a flip-up LCD as a waist-level viewfinder, like the ground glass screens on TLRs.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.