Alley in Pisa, Italy

by Lars Kotthoff

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Take the 2-minute tour ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a 70-200 2.8L II lens that was broken on a photoshoot (dropped 1 ft). The glass is intact (thank you, UV filter) but there is some issue inside the lens where the images aren't focused and the bokeh is weird as if something is misaligned inside.

I know I can send them to Canon but they are slow and expensive, plus my lens is out of warranty so it wouldn't be cheaper to use Canon.

Are there some well-respected places in the US where I can send the lens for repair?

share|improve this question
If you are a professional, have you considered CPS membership? That will speed your service and decease the cost considerably if you own sufficient gear (of which a 70-200f/2.8 IS II is a significant start towards). –  AJ Henderson Mar 26 at 20:47
I'm not a professional but I do own a sizable lens collection. I've never had to have anything repaired, it doesn't seem like it would be worth paying for membership. Do you have CPS membership and related experience to provide advice? –  Sten Petrov Mar 27 at 2:04
If you are sending stuff in for repair, it's probably worth it for the discount on the repair alone. You also get expedited processing and several free cleanings. Technically you have to be a professional to join, though I don't know that they actually check as long as you own enough gear to qualify. –  AJ Henderson Mar 27 at 3:12
Also, the 70-200 2.8L IS II is a pretty hard lens to service (lots of elements, IS group, weather-sealed). I wouldn't necessarily trust a third party shop to get it right, not on lenses of that much complexity and cost. –  Chinmay Kanchi Mar 27 at 15:55
This question is very location-dependent. Which country are you in, which state, etc? –  thomasrutter Mar 28 at 2:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.