by Rodrigo

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Take the 2-minute tour ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In EXIF data I see stuff like

XResolution = 72

YResolution = 72

I'm trying to display that on a site, and I was wondering if I should display both or just a single "72dpi" ?

Are there any cases when XResolution differs from YResolution ? I suspect it's not technically possible but I have to make sure :P

share|improve this question
If this is about photography, I'd suggest skipping that entirely. It's basically irrelevant. –  mattdm Jan 13 '14 at 23:54
Why? Flickr displays it –  Mindy Jan 13 '14 at 23:57
That doesn't make it any less pointless. :) See photo.stackexchange.com/questions/11182/… –  mattdm Jan 14 '14 at 0:10

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, it is possible but extremely uncommon. This makes images that use rectangular pixels and require processing or special displays to appear undistorted.

Videos, before HD, made this the norm with pixel aspect-ratios of around 1.1 or 0.9 depending on which side of the Atlantic your TV was intended for. Some relatively recent cameras use this to save bandwith, again for video.

share|improve this answer
The Nikon D1x had non-square pixels, but that's the only DSLR I'm aware of. –  Matt Grum Jan 14 '14 at 12:12
I know its a video thing, but is this also applicable to Anamorphic film when digitised? –  Darkcat Studios Jan 15 '14 at 13:07
@DarkcatStudios - Yes. With anamorphic film, the shape of the negative is the same and the scanner used is the same which usually means it scan an evenly spaced grid. You have to interpret each of these as a sample from a rectangular pixel to get something which appears to be undistorted. –  Itai Jan 16 '14 at 3:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.