by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know how to center a part of object to the center of the screen in Photoshop.

Here is an example photo - cell phone with antenna: enter image description here

The cellphone and it's antenna is selected as one object and it's in custom layer. Now I would like to align the cell phone's body (without antenna) to the center of the image.

Is it possible to do this somehow in Photoshop?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There is almost certainly a better way than this, but since I don't have Photoshop in front of me, the first thing that comes to mind is to make a duplicate layer that has only the cellphone body. Align that to the center and then position the original layer in the same position. I will update my answer when I get home and have a chance to look for a more direct approach.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the info! Is there some function to automatically set layer's position to the same position as another layer (same X,Y)? Or do I have to move the layer manually to see where they "cross"? – Joudicek Jouda Sep 15 '13 at 11:21
@JoudicekJouda - unfortunately it would be manual since the layers aren't the same size, so the x/y position won't be the same. I also wasn't able to figure out an easier way to do it after taking a look. There might still be one, but I couldn't figure it out if there is. – AJ Henderson Sep 15 '13 at 18:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.