by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I wonder if there is any such tool in "PhotoImpact 8" that would be somewhat similar to a brush that, if I move it over a certain area of my image (picture), would change that area's brightness.

If You know such function (I am sure there should be such one there), please give me some directions how to get to that kind of tool (the thing is I am using a Chinese computer at the moment and Chinese "PhotoImpact 8", so all the menus are in Chinese characters).

Thank You in advance.

share|improve this question
Is it possible for you to install new software? If so, you're almost certainly going to benefit from moving to a more recent program such as I know this doesn't directly help, but it's just something to consider. – chills42 Oct 19 '10 at 12:10
@chills42: Thank You, chills42, for this suggestion. I will install it, but...could You, please, direct me as to where in "gimp" I could find that kind of tool? – brilliant Oct 19 '10 at 13:13

I don't have any experience with "PhotoImpact 8", but in Gimp this is relatively easy.

Using Gimp the simplest method is to use the burn/dodge tool to paint over the area. It is best to do this using an overlay layer so that you can easily revert back if you make a mistake.

There is a tutorial using this method on youtube.

Another way is to use layer masks and dodge/burn/lighten/darken layers to do the adjustment. This is a more powerful method, but it's a bit more complicated, especially if you don't have much experience with gimp of photoshop.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.