Nidelva river through Trondheim Norway

Nidelva river through Trondheim Norway
by Saaru Lindestokke                

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I really wonder : how this photo was taken ? what is the name of such of these technique ? how I can take such of these photographs ?

could you please teach me :)

enter image description here

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by AJ Henderson, Paul Cezanne, Matt Grum, MikeW, Michael Clark Jul 2 '13 at 12:38

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Please see this article on how to ask "what is this effect" questions effectively and edit your question accordingly. – mattdm Jul 1 '13 at 10:48
up vote 9 down vote accepted

This is called "light painting" and you will find many examples of it on the web. You need a long exposure and a source of light (a light stick, a flashlight, a cigarette even). You put your camera on a tripod, release the shutter, and then start moving your light source to "paint" whatever it is you want to get. You can release a flash in the meanwhile to get a still of yourself doing the actual painting.

share|improve this answer
cigarette ? I doubt ! – Sourav Jul 1 '13 at 13:51
Cameras record light; cigarettes emit light. How is there room for doubt? – Alex Jul 1 '13 at 20:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.