by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen this answer which has the same title but i'm not sure if its the same problem.

A friend sent me this photo from their point and shoot camera:

example rainbowing

This is the original uncropped image its just been scaled down to fit.

What's causing this huge rainbow?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The "rainbow effect" is lens flare.

Point and shoot cameras as especially susceptible to lens flare as they often are made out of low quality materials. They also typically do not have any type of coatings on the lens to help with lens flare.

Additional information:

share|improve this answer
Yep... Spotted this on Flickr too, it sometimes works out nice: – John Cavan Jun 24 '13 at 1:40
@JohnCavan i've seen smaller amounts of lens flare from lenses before (like in your example) but never enough to cover the entire photo :O – NULLZ Jun 24 '13 at 5:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.