Spring 2012

Spring 2012
by ani

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

How would you suggest a micro photograph using a 18-55 mm,14 mp lens?
I have tried many different articles on this but did not succeed.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Itai, Paul Cezanne, Michael Clark, mattdm, coneslayer Jun 23 '13 at 14:12

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

You might want to add more specifics. It would help if you posted your pictures too. – Regmi Jun 22 '13 at 19:33
Hi kayD, it's really not very clear what you're asking. Can you point us to a sample or two that will help? – John Cavan Jun 23 '13 at 3:27
actually i want to shoot a mosquito or a fly or a bee.. how can i have a decent shot with these lens specifications. – kayD Jun 23 '13 at 5:51

It sounds like you want to take a Macro photo. Macro is generally defined as a type of photography where the size of the subject on the film negative or sensor is the same size as the subject itself.

To take a large picture of a small subject requires a high reproduction ratio. Most 18-55mm lenses don't allow you to focus close enough to get anywhere near a 1:1 reproduction ratio. You can either purchase a Macro lens, or you can use extension tubes to reduce the Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) of your 18-55mm lens. Be aware that using extension tubes to reduce the MFD carries a light loss (effectively they stretch the light in the image circle, thus the part that falls on your sensor is less) and also eliminates the ability to focus on far objects.

Some extension tubes will allow you to use automatic exposure and focus, but many do not. How you can set the aperture with a set of manual extension tubes vary by camera manufacturer. For Canon lenses, you can attach the lens directly to the camera set manual mode, set the aperture you want, and remove the lens while holding the Depth of Field Preview button down. Then attach the extension tube to the camera and the lens to the extension tube. You will then need to focus manually as well. One way to do that is with Live View magnified on your subject.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.