Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I don't even know what to call this thing. It's been sitting in a box of camera stuff for a while and I have forgotten where it came from.enter image description here

share|improve this question
Can't tell, is there glass in there? Is it the same thread on both sides or is it reversed on one? It could be a reversing ring to mount a lens backwards for macro photography. – Itai Apr 22 '13 at 21:52
There is no glass, and the threads go the same direction. – cyanos Apr 29 '13 at 19:07
up vote 8 down vote accepted

This looks like a spacer ring, which is used to add space between a lens and a filter (such as close-up filter) or other lens attachment to assist in focusing adjustment or increasing the angle of view.

Note, however, that using this could create some vignetting, especially on wide-angle lenses.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.