by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking to purchase a tripod setup. I'm looking at the Manfrotto line of products. Does anyone know if the video line of bases is compatible with photo line of heads? Specifically, the 546B base and the 400DXL head. I will probably buy a couple of bases but I would like cross-compatibility across everything I buy. I'm looking at the 546B because it suppose up to 44 lbs. I would look for info on the manfrotto website, but it appears to be down at the moment.

share|improve this question
BTW, Manfrotto has one site for most country, so while .com is down, .ca is not. You may need this one or a 1/4" version, depending on the 400DXL. – Itai Apr 16 '13 at 17:18
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You are missing a part. The one that goes between the head and tripod. All you need is to by the one that makes the connection possible.

Most heads use either a 3/8" or 1/4" thread. You have to check with the 400DXL because I've never seen one. The 546B uses a 75mm fitting, so you need to find one of those with the thread for your head. If you buy multiple items, it is easiest to have everything with the same thread-size but, fear not, small adapters exist to make a 1/4" screw into a 3/8" one.

share|improve this answer
Said 1/4 to 3/8 adaptors are also very inexpensive. Well under $10, maybe even under $2. – Pat Farrell Apr 16 '13 at 23:02
How does the head connect to the base? What is this 75 mm bowl on teh video base? I think this plays into @Itai comment above about an adapter. – JMD Apr 16 '13 at 23:06
@JMD Not sure which part of my answer is not clear. The need a bowl between the legs and the head. That one has a thread which screws into the head. If it matches perfectly, that is all you need. If the screw on the bowl is too small, you can get a cheap adapter to make the screw wider. There are only two sizes of screws, so most likely it fits without adapter. – Itai Apr 17 '13 at 1:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.