Slains Castle

by pakman

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Sign up ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've lost files during file migration from one disk to another, and now I'm recovering them, and I have lots of JPG image with bottom of image missing but with a thumbnail.


Is there a way/program who can take thumbnail fill out the missing part and with some kind of algorithm make that filled part decent quality at least 60% of the original picture?

Here is recovered thumbnail:

enter image description here

Here is example of image with missing part:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
From the width of the thumbnail and the width of the image, you could only recover with 25% quality using the proposed method. I have never used any jpeg recovery software, but there are companies that say they can do it. – Phil Feb 17 '13 at 19:29
You'll probably need to experiment with programs like Photoshop (or even Paint.NET). They can all enlarge the thumbnail but will have different algorithms to do the interpolation. You might find that you need to use different methods for different photos. – ChrisF Feb 17 '13 at 19:29
@ChrisF Maybe what I'm searching for is a program that uses existing HD image as template and then enlarges thumbnail using same patterns. And I would love to start learning about JPG recovery and start writing program for it, but unfortunately I have no time to do that. – skmasq Feb 17 '13 at 19:32
@skmasq: You might want to see if here are actual recovery tools that can fix, or at least bypass, the problem in the JPEGs. Such issues are usually caused by only a few blocks of the image being bad, and the rest of the image likely still exists. If you could find a tool that will open the photo and load as much of it as possible, you might be able to fix any bad spots with the content-aware tools of Photoshop Elements or CS5/6. – jrista Feb 17 '13 at 20:12
@jrista Ok I will try that, but the thing is, this is allready recovered image, before I couldn't even open it. – skmasq Feb 17 '13 at 20:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.