by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to blend 2 pictures using similar technique like dissolve but more precisely? I need to mix sources evenly - 1 pixel from the top layer second pixel from bottom layer etc. I work with non liquid products that imitate hair colours (black, dark brown, meduium brown etc)and I would like to show customers what would be the result like if 2 colors are mixed together. In my opinion mixing images dissolve like, would be the best for non liquid sources. Or anybody has better ideas? Thank you

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Itai, Paul Cezanne, mattdm, Nir, John Cavan Feb 15 '13 at 1:11

Questions on Photography Stack Exchange are expected to relate to photography within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Set alpha of top layer to 50%? – MarcinWolny Feb 14 '13 at 17:32
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Use a later mask with a pattern fill based on a 2x2 pixel black and white pattern (created with the pencil tool, not the brush). You can then use a mask on a layer group to paint out any areas you don't want blended.

You can also create a number of different dither patterns to simulate blending in different proportions, either by increasing the size and relative numbers of white and black pixels in the patterrn or by using grey pixels in addition to the black and white.

share|improve this answer
Thank you I made it work by pattern as you suggested. – user1031742 Feb 14 '13 at 20:34

Photoshop has a "dissolve" blending mode. It blends at the single pixel level, however it randomly picks which later each pixel will come from, so it won't be alternating every other one like you describe. But I would think it would be more natural to have some randomness thrown in. If your images are relatively high resolution you won't be able to tell the difference. Or you can always do a small radius blur to blend them further.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.