by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can call myself as nerd but this time I'm stuck, I couldn't find any information about a filter or effect. All I know is; there is a Photoshop brush set.

How can people do that effect like one in this example? Is it automatic or you have to use specific brush or what?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Its not the accented edges brush strokes filter over a photo is it? – NULLZ Feb 9 '13 at 15:41
It would be very, very helpful if you could describe your impression of the effect briefly in the title and in more detail in the question. Short "what is this?" questions have three problems. First, answerers may not see what you find interesting in the photo, so it's best to be clear about what you're wondering about. Second, no one looking for the exact same thing is likely to ever find this in a search, because there's nothing distinct to key off of. And finally, people who were looking for some completely other effect may stumble across this, which doesn't help anyone. – mattdm Mar 19 '13 at 3:05
You are completely right but If I could describe anything I would google it first. So I've added the photo and it's my words. Thanks. – Nime Cloud Mar 20 '13 at 6:50
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Topaz Clean can achieve similar results:!p=2&n=10

But plugin used for this photo is most likely Fractalius:

share|improve this answer
Looks very much like Fractalius to me – Matt Grum Feb 9 '13 at 23:32

My first guess was Topaz Clean, as @marcinwolny suggested. It's a plugin that works globally, not a brush set, but I think it approximates the effect in that image. Here is a before and after I've done quickly to show what Topaz can do.

enter image description here

  • Applied Topaz Clean (Curly Smooth filter)
  • Duplicated the layer - guassian blur (15-20 pixels) - blend mode screen - to lighten and give it a glow
share|improve this answer

Take a look at G'Mic's filters Here are some similar filters that they have - artistic -> Rodilius - artistic -> painting - artistic -> Whirl drawing

share|improve this answer
That doesn't really seem very similar to this effect in results. – mattdm Mar 25 '15 at 21:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.