I have an idea, If you have the time, chemicals, skills and patience...
Remove the CMOS sensor from the camera and make sure there are as few bits attached to it as possible.
Then. I recommend that you try and get some of the tape that was originally got stuck to the CMOS and experiment with the chemicals to see what dissolves it best before you try it on the CMOS. Look for solvent lists like this
When you find a chemical that works, then try and research the chemical interactions between it and polysilicon (note there are many substances on the CMOS sensor so you might have to do a lot of research...)
Using something like acetone, perhaps butane lighter fluid to try to dissolve the (tape-residue)glue
Note (If you can get something like compressed butane fluid to work then you could potentially use it to dissolve and blow away the residue)
When you've found something that dissolves the glue then use it, get a bottle of de-ionized water, rinse with de-ionized water, repeat and dry out in a sterile condition if you can.
Try to replace, and test.
Remember, be safe, things like acetone and butane are highly flammable, can be toxic and some more advanced solvents can be carcinogenic.
If you (or anyone else reading this) do this, you have to let me know if it works and how it went down!
Lastly. Its a $40 camera, think of all the fun you're now having with it! :D