Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question has been bugging me for a while, as I've been digging through filters on Adorama and B&H and various other sites for days now. I keep seeing numerous types of filters often tagged as "gels", like color correction filters, flash color adjustment filters, etc. I figured they were made out of some kind of gelatin, giving them their name...however, after more research, it seems they are all made out of polycarbonate, or maybe polyester in the case of Lee color gels and a couple other manufacturers.

I'm at a loss as to why they are called gels when they aren't made out of gelatin. Am I just missing something obvious?

share|improve this question
It's not a dumb question. I took the liberty of editing out the self-deprecation. :) – Reid Sep 19 '10 at 17:42
@Reid: Ha! Thanks. :) – jrista Sep 19 '10 at 18:51
up vote 28 down vote accepted

Photography has borrowed the term "gel" (and the technology) from theater. The original colored "gels" were made out of gelatin (and tended to melt). Today, they are made out of other materials that are more heat tolerant (but can still melt....)

there's a nice writeup on this on wikipedia:

share|improve this answer
Thanks Chuqui. At least I wasn't totally out of my mind. (I'm out of votes for the day, so as soon as I am able to up vote, I will. ;) – jrista Sep 16 '10 at 18:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.