Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When doing stop-frame animation with a video camera, some software has the ability to overlay the photo you're about to take with a semi-transparent ghost of the previous photo, allowing you to line up your shot perfectly.

What is this technology called?

share|improve this question
Not sure if this is technically a photography question, but this was the only place I could find to ask it. – Zaz Sep 12 '10 at 0:13
Also useful for panoramic shots. I'm not aware of any dSLRs which do this (in live view or otherwise), but some point-and-shoot cameras do. (In panorama-mode... A stop-motion mode would be cool too. – mattdm Jan 2 '11 at 19:15
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Onion skinning I think.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. – Zaz Sep 12 '10 at 0:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.