by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I like these photography post-processing effects.

Could someone explain how to make them.

share|improve this question

migrated from Jan 8 '13 at 12:47

This question came from our discussion, support, and feature requests site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers.

Can you describe the effect in words a little bit, so that future visitors with the same question might find it via a search engine? – mattdm Jan 8 '13 at 13:19
up vote 6 down vote accepted

The original photo is a vintage car in the midst of a fairly busy scene; probably a street in New York. To the left, what's undoubtedly an iconic NYC yellow cab. There's people around, possibly people gawking at the car or maybe just minding their business going down the sidewalk. The photographer didn't like the busyness of the composition, or the look of the people, and so decided to blur the surroundings away. The car was masked out so it wouldn't be affected, and then some distortion/blur filter was applied. I'm not sure exactly what filter was used, but it's something like this CrossBlur effect. This leaves an interesting texture and a hint of the original scene.

That didn't come out right in the background visible through the car's windows; I'm not sure if that was included in the filter and didn't work very well due to the small area of that section, or if it was just badly cloned in after the fact. Or on second look, maybe it just was entirely unmodified: it looks like you can see the hood of a modern car behind. The license plate was probably blurred-out manually.

Anyway, now it's fine art.

share|improve this answer
and why do you answer for "unreal", from your point of view, question? :) – garik Jan 9 '13 at 7:46
@garik, I don't think this type of questio is inherently bad, but as I commented, it really helps if you can describe the effect you see in text. Otherwise, it leaves us guessing at what you mean rather than answering the real question. – mattdm Jan 9 '13 at 12:28
Anyway, while the idea of blur and sharpness mixed in one image may be inspired by the Orton Effect, both the technique used and the result are quite different. I really don't think that's what the photographer was going for. – mattdm Jan 9 '13 at 13:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.