by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On every conventional digital camera (excluding the models with detachable lenses), there are buttons to zoom in and out with W side and T side.

When you press W, the lens zooms out. The lens zooms in when you press T

I want to know what do these letters, W and T mean.

share|improve this question
I'd vote to close as a too-basic/look-in-the-manual question, except when I did a quick search, it looks like there's a lot of people asking it, so I don't think it hurts for us to have an answer. – mattdm Dec 19 '12 at 18:57
I tell PPl its T for towards it W for way from it. – user46701 Nov 29 '15 at 0:38
up vote 27 down vote accepted

These letters refers to zooming depth as follows,

  • W = Wide angle
  • T = Telephoto

Read more about wideangle and telephoto in the tags.

share|improve this answer
The name "telephoto" includes "tele", which means "far off" or "over a distance" so it literally means "long distance photography" – thomasrutter Dec 1 '15 at 2:46

The W stands for Wide angle. The T stands for Telephoto.

This has been asked around the web, for example here:

Yahoo! Answers: What does W T button (zoom) stands for in zoom lens cameras?
Tech-Recipes: Why are Camera Zoom Buttons Labelled W and T?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.