Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have noticed quite a few stalls/shops in London sell their photo prints. The prints are usually backed and framed by white cardboard.

Can anyone suggest a print supplier who prints photos and packages them in this sort of format? I have been wanting to sell my photography for a while and I really like how these prints are presented.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks Oliver

share|improve this question
There may not be a service that does this for you and if there is it's unlikely to be cost effective. I expect that most photographers selling their work prepare their own. – user9817 Dec 17 '12 at 10:14
So would it be best to buy a kit as mentioned below? If so does anyone know of any in the UK? – Dec 17 '12 at 11:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted

What you're looking for is more commonly called a "matted" or "mounted" print. "Card framed" seems to be a British term.

Several labs in the U.S. will sell you a matted print, and I'd imagine some in the U.K. do, too. The problem is that if you intend to sell your work, the cost of a lab-mounted print gets prohibitive. As an example, one lab here sells an 8x10" print matted to 11x14" for US$22.

Matting your own prints is easy, and a quick trip to your favorite search engine will net you dozens of tutorials on how it's done. I buy the show kits that dpollitt mentioned in his answer. That plus the mounting tape and the print runs me about US$7 for the supplies to make a mounted and bagged print, or about a third of what a lab charges. I also figure in some amount for my labor to assemble it, which still puts me well below the lab's price.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, that seems to be exactly what I was after. I wasn't sure of the name of the print so I just mentioned that they were framed. – Dec 17 '12 at 15:01

If I am understanding what you are looking for right, you are just looking for a kit that sells matting, backing board, and clear/poly bags? If you could provide an image of an example that would help a great deal. At any rate would something like this work?

Sorry I don't know what "card framed" means exactly.

share|improve this answer
That is similar to the sort of thing I am after. The photos tend to be centred against the board and sometimes they are bagged up. – Dec 16 '12 at 18:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.