Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I saw the term used when describing the Canon 85mm f/1.8. What do they mean?

share|improve this question
@Francesco I initially imagined some sort of ninja zoom that just comes out of nowhere :p – Vian Esterhuizen Nov 7 '12 at 20:47
up vote 27 down vote accepted

It means the lens focal length doesn't change, but you can change the framing by moving your feet — which in this idiom are wearing sneakers (which, for non-native English speakers, are casual athletic shoes). I've more commonly heard "zoom with your feet", which is the same thing except not dependent on shoe style.

It important to be aware that changing your position is not the same as zooming, because moving alters perspective, while zooming does not. To get the effect of zoom with a fixed-focal-length lens, don't move — crop.

share|improve this answer
Bonus +1 for the advice about perspective. – Vian Esterhuizen Nov 7 '12 at 19:56

you walk closer or farther from your subject.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.