by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Generally used to achieve the anamorphic 'streak' effect.

share|improve this question
Hmmm short google later and I found a web site you can order them from, they even do international shipping. – CreateSean Oct 27 '12 at 10:41

The best ones use thin sheets of glass etched with regular parallel lines. It would be possible to replicate this approach using an old UV filter, a an etching tool and some sort of straight edge, but you can get the same effect by stretching several pieces of fishing line across a frame in front of the lens.

share|improve this answer
The fishing line idea is slick, there's lots of thicknesses and some different colours out there for even more variance. If you have a Cokin or Lee filter holder and some 1mm thick card stock, you're really in business. I may have to try this. – John Cavan Oct 27 '12 at 15:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.