by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Lightroom 3, I have some presets (example: whoiswolf_herbst_licht) that seem to darken the edges of the photo. However, I can't figure out how they do this. There is nothing that shows up in the Effects panel (Post-Crop Vignetting) or in the Lens Correction panel.

So, how else can one darken the edges of a photo in LR?

share|improve this question
Is "example: whoiswolf_herbst_licht" supposed to be a link? – J. Walker Sep 29 '12 at 20:35
No, it's the name of the Lightroom preset he's using. – NickM Sep 29 '12 at 21:11
Download link for that preset is at the foot of this article. It's in the Free Downloads package. – Mark Whitaker Oct 1 '12 at 8:42

If you open the plugin file in a text editor, you can see all the settings associated with the preset. In the case of this one, I can find the following:

VignetteAmount = -100,
VignetteMidpoint = 0,

Which suggests that it's not using 'post-crop vignette' but the lens correction vignette instead. You could verify this by applying the preset, and checking the value under 'Lens correction > Manual > Lens Vignetting'.

In my opinion this is a poor choice, as applying the effect to a cropped image would only apply vignetting to the uncropped version, so e.g. if you cropped the bottom right off the image, the top left would be darker than the other corners, making it look odd.

share|improve this answer
I believe in early versions of LR they did not have the option for post crop vignette, so this preset could easily have originated before the option was even present. Either that, or they just made a poor choice when creating it. – dpollitt Oct 1 '12 at 14:17
I think it behaved like post-crop vignette, but was just called 'vignette', IIRC. If Adobe kept the same tag for the different behaviour of lens-correction vignette, then that's pretty bad! – NickM Oct 1 '12 at 21:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.