by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

During the final competition of the individual all-around gymnastics (won by Gabby Douglas) I noticed a photographer (if memory doesn't fail me, he was placed behind the russian team) with a very large and "strange looking" camera.

Did anybody else see him? What camera was it? Was it simply a large format? Was it an old bellow camera? From what I cannot remember it did seem relatively old but maybe large or medium format camera are like that and I simply cannot recognize one :-)

I have searched on youtube but obviously all the focus is on the performances of the athletes and not on all the great camera gear that was floating around the venues, can you believe that? ;-)

Ps: the reference to old bellow camera is of course related to this other question of mine.

share|improve this question
Some people had stereo/ 3D camera equipment, which may be what you saw. – Russell McMahon Aug 29 '12 at 14:05
I am sure that he inserted and removed slides from the side of the camera : if memory serves me from his right side (so it was on the left of the tv screen). – Francesco Aug 29 '12 at 14:06
Btw: great, there are 3d cameras around and all those youtube clips instead focus on gymnastics (which unfortunately I am not interested in, I just happened to watch the contest while working at home)... :-( – Francesco Aug 29 '12 at 14:10
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I think you are talking about the 4x5 Graflex Speed Graphic that David Burnett was shooting with.

share|improve this answer
Yes, that is it! Thanks for the link. – Francesco Aug 29 '12 at 18:13
One little nit to pick: the Speed Graphic is a 4x5 sheet film camera, not medium format. You can use a medium format roll film holder with the Graflex back, but the "real deal" is to use a 6-sheet Grafmatic holder. – user2719 Aug 29 '12 at 20:04
@StanRogers you are quite right, my mistake. I've edited it to reflect this. – camflan Aug 29 '12 at 20:11

At a distance this dual camera arrangement from here used by Getty Images to capture 3D footage may have looked large and/or strange.

The article talks about a single system but seems to also include footage without any real discussion of a robotic camera which appears far closer to what you described. This appears to be a 35mm DSLR (probably 5D MkIII well encased in robot armour -

enter image description here

Probably not a temporarily down to earth Skycam but worth a mention.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
thanks for the pic but the camera was being operated on a tripod and it definitely didn't have such a regular looking lens. At first sight it really appeared to my eyes as a black box like an old style camera... – Francesco Aug 29 '12 at 14:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.