Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I saw a guy with something that looked like an L-Bracket, but positioned the flash directly over the camera. Then he went and pivoted his camera 90-degrees into a portrait orientation by turning it in place. The rest of the bracket stayed oriented vertically and his grip didn't have to change. The entire thing was mounted on a pretty sexy monopod with 3 "toes".

share|improve this question
I've seen flip-grips with a flash mount that pivots back on itself when you change the camera orientation, but that doesn't work when the camera is mounted on a tripod (or monopod). – Eric Falsken Aug 26 '12 at 18:32
What do you mean by 'positioned the lens directly over the camera'? Are you talking about a tripod collar? – Itai Aug 26 '12 at 22:06
Or something like this from this discussion – Russell McMahon Aug 27 '12 at 0:16
That's it @RussellMcMahon! What's that thing called? – Eric Falsken Aug 27 '12 at 18:58
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You are probably talking about a flash bracket.

I'd guess something along the lines of the Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket. The design has been around a long time and the patents have expired, so there are now several competing brands with more-or-less the same design, and Stroboframe's own prices are significantly lower than they were when I bought one back in the '80s for use on my last-resort backup 35mm system for weddings. (The current price is in the $US 40 range; it was more than $US 100 in '87. Adjusted for inflation, it's pretty much free now by comparison.)

Unlike camera-rotation brackets with their large and obvious mechanical arc mechanism, it only has two positions (portrait or landscape) and the mechanism is a whole lot less obvious—just the frame, the L-shaped camera platform, and two solid links between the two that are only really visible during the flip operation. It's also a whole lot less sturdy that the much more expensive arc rotation brackets, but it's not intended to be a tripod head or mounting plate—it's pretty much expected that your hand will be on the camera, even when used on a tripod/monopod.

share|improve this answer
Perfect. Like you said, there seem to be many of them now called "Flash Flip Brackets" of varying qualities and costs. ($50-150) The Arc/rotation brackets are a lot more expensive ($250+) but have the added advantage of letting you rotate the camera to any angle and being a lot more durable. Thanks! – Eric Falsken Aug 27 '12 at 19:06

Did you mean it positioned the flash directly over the camera?

This would be my guess:

share|improve this answer
That's it....or something like it. Do I call those a Rotation Bracket? Where can I find more like them either from B&H or Amazon? – Eric Falsken Aug 27 '12 at 18:59

Sounds like you saw a pano head. These things are used to eliminate parallax errors when rotating the camera while creating panoramic photos. Saves a lot of time in post processing.

For more information take a look here:

share|improve this answer
Nope. It rotated the camera orientation, not panning side-to-side. – Eric Falsken Aug 27 '12 at 19:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.