All three lenses are available at a local store near me:
- 85mm 1.8 at about 400USD
- 85mm 1.4 at about 1000USD
- 105mm 2.8 at about 1015 USD
I plan on doing macro and portrait photography and have the ff thoughts so far:
- I can save a lot with the 85mm 1.8 and a site claims that AF-wise it is much faster than the 85mm 1.4 at twice the price
- 105mm has VR but I don't know if that would be of much use with portrait and macro as I usually don't use slow shutter speeds with such subjects
- 105mm has AF-S which means I can get better insect shots because of the silence( and the 105 mm range)
- I don't know why I should prefer the 85mm 1.4 over the 105mm, when the 85mm may only have AF speed as an advantage, though I am not so sure if it is faster
so as you can see, I'm leaning towards 105mm f/2.8 or 85mm f/1.8 and less towards the 85mm f/1.4. However, I don't want to finalize the decision as many also claims that the 85mm f/1.4 is so good.
Any professional insights to add in helping me make the decision?