Slains Castle

by pakman

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Sign up ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a Nikon D5100 and a MC-DC2 remote. I'd like to use the remote to hold the shutter open until I release the button, however I don't see an option for this. Is this something that I can do?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

This is called "Bulb Mode".

On most DSLRs (including the D5100), you would change to shutter priority or manual mode and slide the shutter speed larger until it reads "Bulb" or something of the sort.

share|improve this answer
Ah. I wouldn't have ever associated "bulb mode" with this functionality. It works perfectly! – Thomas Owens Jul 3 '12 at 22:15
@ThomasOwens -- the "bulb" in this case is the thing you squeeze on an old-style pneumatic shutter release. The name may not make as much sense in this age of electric/electronic everything, but there are still cameras/shutters that use the old-style release. Cameras may also have a "T" (time) mode, where one click opens the shutter and the next closes it, which is a lot more comfortable than holding a button for very long exposures. – user2719 Jul 3 '12 at 22:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.