I'm interested which digital camera models and brands are most open standard friendly. I'm more an open source fan than a photographer, so I can be picky about openness and tolerant with performance and image quality. I suppose there won't be analogy of OLPC computer in digital camera world, but there shall be some models that meet more open standards than others.
Here is a list of standards I know about (I'm not 100% sure about this, feel free to correct me):
- ¼" tripod mount is free to implement
- 4/3 lens mount is more open than others, like Canon or Nikon mounts. It's not fully open, but at least interested third party lens manufacturers don't have to reverse-engineer camera electronics.
- SDHC is more or less open
- AA batteries are a standard factor compared to proprietary Li-ion batteries
- Adobe DNG open raw format is supported by some cameras from Pentax and other manufacturers
So, any other recommendations?