by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The rubber grip is peeling away from my D700, just near the autofocus mode selection switch. That whole (tiny) section of the grib is pretty much coming away. How can I do a DIY repair? What glues should I avoid using? If I need to replace the grip itself (there's another that's a little bit loose) where can I get them?

I'd like the grips to look, after the repair, quite a lot like they did before there was a problem. It's OK if they're not entirely identical, but very similar would be good.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

A quick search turns up these items

Are these any good?

share|improve this answer
They are the right parts. I think the remaining thing to figure out, is what kind of adhesive to use. – James Youngman Apr 29 '12 at 23:10
@JamesYoungman: I would look into gorilla glue. That stuff is designed to work on pretty much any material, and it holds extremely well. – jrista Apr 30 '12 at 15:16
I would suggest rubber adhesive or double sided tape (although I think the new parts are actually self adhesive0 – Stevetech Apr 30 '12 at 17:01
Original Nikon parts come complete with the correct adhesive tape (double sided) to use, which is the same tape used in the factory. – jwenting May 1 '12 at 9:18
Thanks. In fact that seller also has their own online store at which is slightly cheaper. – James Youngman May 5 '12 at 17:26

If you want to replace the whole grip, sugru is one of the best custom grip/almost anything DIY putty that you can get. It will definitely be able to replace a small grip on a camera

share|improve this answer
wow, that looks pretty dam useful! – nuno_cruz Apr 23 '12 at 11:22
To be honest I was looking for a solution where, after the repair, the item looks like it did before it was broken. I'm going to wait a bit to see if anybody else suggests a solution that better fits with my notion of "repair". – James Youngman Apr 27 '12 at 0:23
I had never heard of sugru! What a success story, and what an amazing material! – Doggie52 May 1 '12 at 22:34

Nikon will often repair cameras for free, try calling them before you do anything drastic and warrenty voiding

share|improve this answer
They will do minor things like this at cost when performed in addition with other maintenance or repairs, meaning you pay just the price of the parts. When sending in a camera just to get the grips replaced you will pay labour and S&H as well. – jwenting May 1 '12 at 9:19

I recommend Loctite Plastics Bonding system for these kind of 'rubbery' plastics. I have not used it specifically on a Nikon grip, but it works very well in similar applications.

The problem with regular "5 min" epoxy and Gorilla Glue is they are stiff and non-flexible, so for rubber items, the glue can not bond. Gorilla Glue has an added issue in that it is for porous surfaces, requires activation with water, (not in plastics), and it expands when curing, so it likely won't look original if you use Gorilla Glue.

What is different about this stuff is that it has some give to it, so in applications where you need something that isn't stiff like regular epoxy, this is what to get:

share|improve this answer

Nikon service center should be the right place. Contact their Service and Repair section with their official parts number. See a sample list of official D700 parts in here. This shouldn't be a costly repair and can also be done at home once you have the right grip purchased. In that case follow the instruction posted at the end of this post in here.

share|improve this answer

Replacement sets are not expensive. As low as $15. I wld never use Gorilla glue in a situation like this. It is an expanding urethane adhesive and might expand through small openings (of which there are a number) into the interior of the camera. A thin layer of rubber cement on the grips and (carefully) on the body seems to work okay.

share|improve this answer

Camera grip replacement material:

Adhesive-backed neoprene. I put it right over the old sticky grip on my Olympus E10. Very easy to work with, enough for 4 grips or more per package. I found this product under archery supplies of all places. Working great for me, and it's cheap!

Gander Mountain
Order Toll Free: 1-888-542-6337
Silence-ilator Pad (3.5” X 14”)
Item   #429340 

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.