by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've included an album with three picture which have a particular effect that I see everywhere and I just wondered how you do it! the last picture in the album doesn't have the effect do you can see the difference.

Can someone please tell what this effect is called? Is it an effect that you can add on to the photo after or is it something to do with the lens / flash that can only be done when the photo is taken? If the former can someone please tell me how to do it!

Many thanks!

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by jrista Mar 31 '13 at 23:23

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Clarity slider in Adobe RAW or Lightroom! IMO those photos are garbage, I've photographed many club events and if I delivered anything like that to my client I'm sure I would have been fired! Just my 2c. – Alen Apr 7 '12 at 19:41
@Alen is this in CS5? – John Smith Apr 8 '12 at 13:21
Closed, as the image link no longer works, which makes it difficult to further answer the question. The user has never returned since. – jrista Mar 31 '13 at 23:23

I think it is boosted "Clarity" property in Photoshop.. See this picture that i have edited this way (clarity = 100, PS Lightroom 4)

share|improve this answer
Can you do this in CS5? – John Smith Apr 8 '12 at 8:52
Yes, Clarity is available in Camera Raw plugin in CS5. So the easiest way to do it in PS is to open the file in Camera Raw and adjust clarity. However, in my experience clarity won't give the same result as Topaz Adjust. And the newer Camera Raw (Lightroom 4) changes the algorithm of clarity so it will do even less faux HDR. – nwcs Apr 9 '12 at 12:26

That is almost certainly done with Topaz Adjust. It's a relatively common and trendy HDRish effect that people either like or hate. You only add this effect in post. You can't get this look in camera.

share|improve this answer
Ah ok thank you, which exact effect in Topaz Adjust is it? – John Smith Apr 8 '12 at 8:40
Well, it's more like the particular settings used within Topaz Adjust. It's like HDR. You kind of do a formula to get the look you need for the shot. They have a number of presets which people often use as starting points and customize as desired. – nwcs Apr 8 '12 at 13:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.