by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a bunch of Cokin Z and HiTech filters. I may be able to get my hands on a Lee Foundation Kit. Would these filters fit into the Lee?

share|improve this question

The short answer is yes. The 100mm filter size is common across the brands, but the parts in the actual holder system is not interchangeable. If you're really not sure, just bring a filter with you to the store and try it.

share|improve this answer
The thickness of the filters may matter. There are a variety of filter thicknesses, however the Lee Holder is capable of being modified to handle anything from 1mm to 4mm thickness, I believe. You can buy additional guide rails and screws to configure the system to hold anywhere from 1-4 1mm-4mm thick 100mm slides. – jrista Apr 7 '12 at 16:15
@jrista - That's why I suggested he bring one. I think he's fine, in general, but it's not like these are immovable objects you can't take to the store... ;) – John Cavan Apr 7 '12 at 16:58
I guess I wasn't clear enough. The Lee holder defaults to 2mm filter support. If any of the others are 1, 3, or 4mm thick, the Lee holder in a store won't hold them right, but would still be compatible with a couple bits of extra hardware (which cost about $2 for alternate slide guides and $1 for alternate screws.) – jrista Apr 7 '12 at 18:13
@jrista - Cokin Z are 2mm thick normally. – John Cavan Apr 7 '12 at 18:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.