by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I saw this lighting rig on a music video and it has had me intrigued as to what it is called. I am looking into building one but I would like to do more research before I jump into anything.

It looks to be three tube fluorescent lights in a triangle.

share|improve this question
If it was in a music video, you'll probably have better luck on – rfusca Feb 17 '12 at 6:13
looks designed to light the face from all sides for close-ups, or fisheye lens situations – Andrew Heath Feb 17 '12 at 8:57

Looks to me like the grown-up version of a ring light, except made into a triangle because straight tubes are available. I doubt that there's any magic behind its engineering other than "hey, what can we do with these tubes" and it turned out to work pretty well =)

If you wanted to experiment cheaply I wager than most 3D modeling packages can simulate a triangle made of tubes like this so you could previz what a real setup would look like.

share|improve this answer

If you want a more photography-oriented tool like this, look at the SaberStrip. I've never used them so can't offer any experience details.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.