by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a picture in the woods of a path. I want to blur the woods so they look like they are being run by really fast, not just plain blurry. The best analogy I can think of is like cars look on highways in certain pictures.

What program can do this?

share|improve this question
Can you be more specific? Do you want to do this on your computer? What type of computer do you have, windows or mac? Do you have any software already that you want to try to do this in, such as Photoshop Elements, Gimp, or similar? – dpollitt Jan 12 '12 at 0:19

In Photoshop, you can access various blurs via the Blur sub-menu in Filters menu.

  • Motion Blur will ask for an angle and an intensity and will blur the entire image (or selection) along that angle making it look like the camera exposed for motion.

  • Radial blur will ask for a point and an intensity and will blur the pixels radially away from that point as if the camera has zoomed in over the course of the exposure.

  • Zoom blur will ask for a point and an intensity and will blur the pixels in a circular around that point as if the camera was spun on it's axis during the exposure.

share|improve this answer
Edited for clarity and added explanations. – Nick Bedford Jan 12 '12 at 0:58

Gimp has a filter called Motion blur - try it. Here is also some videotutorial, how to do it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.