Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A few days ago, I saw this picture linked here on 500px and was wondering how the coloring technique is called.

On a first glance, it looks like a high key shot, but it is unusual as it has no light background. I'm wondering what kind of photoshopping was done here. Is it just removing saturation and adding a bit exposure? I hope this style has some official name so that I can look up the details on Google. But at the moment I'm struggling, because I don't know what to search for.

share|improve this question
Similar vintage effect described here:… – MikeW Jan 10 '12 at 9:28
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I agree it looks like a 'vintage' effect. The skin looks yellow/green. To test this, I brought that image into photoshope, added a curves layer and used the gray point dropper on a light part of her jacket, assuming it was neutral, and this resulted in more normal skin tone.

Then I used a color balance adjustment layer, and moved the Magenta/Green slider towards green (+22) and Yellow/Blue towards the blue (-22), and the result looks almost identical to the original.

I didn't change the saturation, but it looks like the image may have been somewhat desaturated, as you suggested.

This is a harsher green vintage effect here. Looks ghastly, but the technique uses separate channels in a curves layer which you might be able to tone down and make use of. And another one here. Or search on photoshop/gimp vintage effects.

share|improve this answer

This looks like a well-lit portrait (I'm thinking artificial off-camera lighting rather than natural light) with a 'vintage' colour treatment in Photoshop. The lighting is pretty much impossible to replicate in post-processing, but you can achieve a similar colouring result in Photoshop or GIMP by opening your Levels tool and doing the following:

Edit each channel individually:

Red: raise the bottom left point.

Green: make a new point in the center and drop it slightly.

Blue: raise the bottom left point and lower the top right point, then make a new point at the center and drop it slightly.

Use an adjustment layer or a separate image layer and vary the opacity to alter the strength of the effect.

share|improve this answer
Thank you also for your answer. I can only accept one reply as an answer, so I went for the first one. – Sebi Jan 10 '12 at 12:56
Actually, mine was the first one, but that's ok :) – ElendilTheTall Jan 10 '12 at 12:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.