Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any existing script, either standalone (python, perl, etc.) or bridge/aperture plug-in that will detect blur of the type where you move the camera when taking the picture? I know this can be done, but can't find a way that exists to easily do it. I just want camera-shake detection, not removal.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by jrista Dec 2 '11 at 17:58

Questions on Photography Stack Exchange are expected to relate to photography within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do you want to be alerted to the presence of such blur, or do you need to know the characteristics (how much, in which direction)? – mattdm Nov 22 '11 at 11:47
Do you mean from a single picture? And how do you know that it can be done? This strikes me as a very tough problem, if you're not doing it using multiple images or mechanically. – trican Nov 22 '11 at 18:09
What's your programming / math background? If you're sufficiently ambitious and patient, you may get more mileage out of higher-level tools like Mathematica / Maple / Matlab, since the algorithm will likely involve matrix math to "convolve" the image with "kernels" (represented as matrices) to perform edge detection, and there may be a Fourier transform or Hough transform thrown in there somewhere. Anyways, getting an answer for this type of thing is well beyond normal photography topics and might be terrific fun for the Math StackExchange. I'm voting to move it. – anon Nov 26 '11 at 5:32
There's also a Digital Signal Processing StackExchange that might be able to tackle this: – anon Nov 26 '11 at 5:36

Adobe recently did a presentation of a new technology which not only tracks shake, but can reverse it as well. They said it won't be in CS6, maybe 7 or there after. If you search on youtube you should be able to find it.

share|improve this answer
This is very true - though its unclear exactly how the camera shake / blur mask is "defined". I'd refer the original poster to search for information/plugins on deconvolution such as the Lucy Richardson approach IF they want to try remove camera shake. However the original poster seems to want to just detect it and classify the blur? – trican Nov 22 '11 at 22:15
I know. Don't want that, just the detection, which already exists. – fread2281 Nov 23 '11 at 13:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.