I Dare You!

by peter_budo

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Take the 2-minute tour ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I aspire to become a fashion and wildlife photographer, and I am starting out in that mission today. Lucky me, and the first photographer whose works I came across is Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz.

His photography involves (splashed) liquids dressing the models, stunning I must say. What an inspiration to start with. (And moreover, it doesn't involve photo-editing for the effects.) But I don't know what to call this.

Different terms were used, like "Water Angel", "Water illustration", or "Milk Illustration" (if milk is used), and etc. — but does this kind of photography have a specific name?


source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaroslav/sets/72157626124758315/

share|improve this question
I wouldn't post the images directly here because you do now own the images either, I think the links are fine. –  dpollitt Oct 31 '11 at 1:35
@dpollitt okay... –  its_me Oct 31 '11 at 1:48
Jarek, the photographer, says this is a technique (capturing liquids frozen in mid-air), not a genre, according to this behind-the-scenes story published last week on Strobist: strobist.blogspot.com/2011/10/… –  Kim Burgaard Oct 31 '11 at 2:24
Yeah, that is how I came to know Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz's works. I thought that's some kind of photography like wild-life photography, outdoor photography etc. Get it now. –  its_me Oct 31 '11 at 2:49

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Fashion For Walls

Similar photos have been done before such as by the ad agency TBWA for the "Fashion for Walls" campaign. In this case they used a combination of a real model, and a mannequin was switched out, and then they threw paint buckets at the mannequin. Then in post production the two were combined.

I wouldn't say that these photos don't "involve photo-editing for the effects" rather, they don't use computer generated imagery for the effect, they just post process multiple images together.

Milk & Water

For Jaroslav Wieczorkiewicz's work, details can be found at this stobist post here. The main idea is that he used very high speed capture to freeze the water on the black background.

Jaroslav points out that the most important aspect is the concept, beyond that the actual work of putting it all together is not as difficult.

I have not attended one of his workshops where he gives detailed step by step instructions on how to accomplish works such as MILK. From what I can tell his work is a composite of many water/milk thrown images and images that are of the models by themselves on black studio backgrounds. Mix that with very high speed shots and ultra fast strobes/lights and you have the main idea.

Information directly from Jaroslav on the "Playing with water shoot": Here

Fashion for Walls info: Here

share|improve this answer
Does this kind of photography have a name? (did I miss it?) Is it called "Fashion for Walls" photography? –  its_me Oct 31 '11 at 1:58
Jaroslav calls it "Water Illustration". Fashion for walls is a brand of paint. I would call either of the examples, fashion photography. –  dpollitt Oct 31 '11 at 2:05
Okay, thanks for clearing it up. –  its_me Oct 31 '11 at 2:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.