by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm planning to get my 18-55 Canon kit lens a lens hood to protect it from the elements. Which would be the correct hood: a petal hood or a round one?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You need a round one because the front element will rotate when it zooms/focuses.

share|improve this answer

The EW-60C seems to be what Canon specs for this lens. That's a round one. Note that a lens hood is designed more to protect from stray light bouncing around inside the lens barrel and/or reducing flare than it is for physical protection from the elements. If you are just trying to provide a bit more protection, be sure to put a skylight or UV filter on the lens.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.