Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for something that I can attach to my Nikon D5000 that will allow me to hold the camera steady, similar to a tripod, but MUCH lighter and easier to setup. I'm thinking it could also dub as a walking cane when hiking. Do they make such a thing? If so, what is it called?

share|improve this question
It's called a Monopod. – Fake Name Aug 27 '11 at 3:05
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You may want to take a gander at the trekpod. It is a monopod and a hiking staff!

Trek Tech's website

share|improve this answer
I should mention that I asked a very similar question once... – BBischof Aug 26 '11 at 22:07
Monopod - that is really what I was looking for. I just didn't know what to call the thing. Thank you! – CodingBytes Aug 26 '11 at 22:11

There are a lot of monopods out there. You can also buy a bolt that screws into the tripod hole in the bottom of your camera. Attach a length of twine to the bold that will reach the ground with a couple of feet to spare. Step on the twine and raise the camera to pull it taught. There are companies that make devices like this too. Just so some Google searches for camera monopod twine and camera monopod.

Have Fun, Jeff

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.