Spring 2012

Spring 2012
by ani

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been trying to get this "look" and I am not even sure what to call it.

Here is an example:

enter image description here

And another: enter image description here

Are they just doing selective color filtering, or is there something else that I am not grasping such as removing vibrance or playing with saturation? Thanks.

share|improve this question
Hmmm. Those images have a very different look to me, with, actually, very little in common other than the modern-ruins setting. – mattdm Aug 22 '11 at 4:02
The parts I am seeing it the blues in the top, and the green in the bottom. It looks like both images have a high level of de-saturation but then there are some nice coloring as well. – RiddlerDev Aug 22 '11 at 4:12
Agred. very different images. The top is likely HDR. It could also be processed with the bleach bypass filter (the NIK Color Efex Pro Bleach Bypass filter yields a very similar result) It certainly has the structure cracked up quite a bit. As for the second image; i don;t think anything much other then saturation has been done to highlight the green. – Jakub Aug 22 '11 at 13:37
Perhaps these images should be replaced with links to source? I doubt if author's permission was obtained to republish them, especially under the CC license that applies to content of this site. – Imre Dec 8 '11 at 17:44
up vote 9 down vote accepted

The top image is almost certainly HDR. Do a Google image search on HDR and you'll surely find others very much like it.

The bottom one is possibly HDR, although most people have trouble leaving as much solid shadow as is shown in that image. It kind of looks like what was there and from what I see there was light bouncing in through all kinds of doors and windows and reflecting off plenty of surfaces that could influence its color. I've been in settings like this and they photograph much like this with zero post-processing.

share|improve this answer

Yes these images are taken using a technique called HDR, this stands for High Dynamic Range.

you are effectively taking three frames, one is under exposed, one correctly exposed and one is over exposed. They are then blended together into one image with a high dynamic range.

You will see in the images that the lights are bright and the darks are dark and that the in between shades are very detailed. This is the effect you get.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.