by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am thinking about renting a couple for expensive lenses ($900+) from Adorama. I'll be visiting NYC from Chicago. They state on their rental page.

We do not provide Insurance. We strongly encourage renters to obtain an insurance policy, especially if you rent frequently or when the replacement value of your orders is high.

Where can I obtain an insurance policy to cover these lenses? Will my (Chicago) home owners insurance cover it? It seems like a weird coverage because I don't technically own the lenses.

share|improve this question
Here in Minnesota, my insurance company(state farm) will not insure equipment rentals of any kind. They told me technically the state requires you to lease or own it to insure camera equipment. I use and buy insurance from them instead. – dpollitt Aug 15 '11 at 19:01
Turns our my insurance company (allstate) is in the same boat. No rental coverage at all. – Thanh Aug 15 '11 at 22:01
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Most homeowners policies have a limit to the amount of photography equipment and electronics are covered under the policy, a total of $1000 is common. Also you will take a 'hit' on your homeowner's policy if you do have any sort of claim.

Call your agent or find an agent with another firm and look into getting a rider for your homeowner's policy or an inland marine policy that will cover rented equipment.

Here is a good post that explains the differences (The comments are great)

share|improve this answer
Very interesting comments in that link. Thanks for that. – Thanh Aug 15 '11 at 20:34

Have you tried a place like or that offer insured lens rentals? They have good reputations and can offer the insurance at the time of rental. In general, its an easier option to purchase and, if something happens, to deal with the consequences of.

share|improve this answer
I have, but the shipping fees typically are double the cost of the rental for the time frame I am looking at. I am wondering if there are any other reputable lens renters in NYC that offer insurance. – Thanh Aug 15 '11 at 18:25
Be very careful and closely read everything stated on any companies web site, then closely read and make sure you fully understand the insurance provided by the rental company. It is very rare for a rental company to cover theft or loss. – Dave Nelson Aug 15 '11 at 18:51

I know this is an old question, but I found it while searching for the same answer. My homeowners or renters insurance won't cover rented equipment. Neither will the benefits on any of my credit cards.

So far, my options are to go uninsured, which requires me to provide a credit card that up to the entire value of the rented equipment can be charged to in case of loss or damage, or buy a policy from a specialty insurer. One of the camera rental companies suggests

Yes, the insurance may cost just as much as (or more than) the rental. The site I mentioned above has a $250 minimum premium and a $500 deductible.

I'll keep looking into insurance, and then decide whether I wouldn't rather just use my little camera.

share|improve this answer

Your homeowners or rental policy is the place to start.

Call your insurance agent and see if your policy will cover loss or damage to rented property, and specifically rented camera lenses (policies always have a lot of exceptions). Your policy probably likely already does to some extent.

If your existing policy doesn't cover you to what you think is a sufficient level, you can probably get additional coverage for the rented stuff for dates you'll have the lens.

share|improve this answer
Note, this completely depends on your localities laws. This doesn't hold true in Minnesota(according to my State Farm agent). – dpollitt Aug 15 '11 at 18:57

Homeowners Insurance (AllState) does not cover rental equipment. Borrow lens requires additional coverage for the expensive lens and do not offer coverage for loss/theft and they require this additional proof of coverage. Rental insurance looks complicated and expensive where owning the gear and adding to home insurance is reasonable.

To clarify my original statement: is a rental company for all sorts of camera and video gear. They only offer damage insurance and this is all you need for most small lenses and gear.

However if you are renting say..500mm or 800mm lens or expensive video equipment you are required to go out and get additional insurance to cover against total loss or theft and with the Borrow lens company listed as the Loss Payee. This must be provided before you pick up any equipment or they will not rent you the expensive stuff. The company itself does not offer this additional insurance coverage.

I hope that clarifies this.

share|improve this answer
Jake, don't understand your second sentence at all. "Borrow lens"? requires coverage and does not offer coverage and requires proof of coverage? Can you edit or clarify what you're saying? – MikeW Sep 13 '13 at 0:35
I think what he means is that anything not your own isn't covered unless you can hand over proof that it was in your posession at time of loss. Essentially the same as many insurance policies not covering loss of visitors' posessions. – jwenting Sep 13 '13 at 6:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.