I Dare You!

by peter_budo

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Take the 2-minute tour ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is kinda hard to explain, but I've seen it several places before. I'm looking for a special way that two photographs are printed — they're printed so you from each angle can see just one of the two photos. It's printed on a load on triangles so if you're looking from 90 degrees you wouldn't really see anything, but from approximately 60 degrees and 120 degrees, you can see the two photos.

                   /   \ 
   see photo two           see photo one

I'm looking for the name of this printing style. I hope it's explained so you can understand it.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 17 down vote accepted

This is known as lenticular printing.

From Wikipedia: How It Works

Each image is arranged (slicing) into strips, which are then interlaced with one or more similarly arranged images (splicing). These are printed on the back of a piece of plastic, with a series of thin lenses molded into the opposite side. Alternatively, the images can be printed on paper, which is then bonded to the plastic. With the new technology, lenses are printed in the same printing operation as the interlaced image, either on both sides of a flat sheet of transparent material, or on the same side of a sheet of paper, the image being covered with a transparent sheet of plastic or with a layer of transparent, which in turn is printed with several layers of varnish to create the lenses.

A close up of the surface of a lenticular printed 3D image.

enter image description here

To see how movement changes the image you see, this diagram shows it pretty effectively.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
+1. See also Where can I have lenticular images created? –  mattdm Jul 3 '11 at 13:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.