by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I achieve this vintage color tone in Photoshop?

Photo link

share|improve this question
Seems similar in technique to – D. Lambert Jun 8 '11 at 14:13
tutorial:… – Meysam Oct 9 '12 at 4:19
up vote 11 down vote accepted

A Curves adjustment layer gives you ultimate flexibility.

Edit each channel individually:

  • Red: raise the bottom left point.

  • Green: make a new point in the center and drop it slightly.

  • Blue: raise the bottom left point and lower the top right point, then make a new point at the center and drop it slightly.

Experiment with the opacity of the adjustment layer to vary the intensity of the effect.

share|improve this answer
+1 I tried it and it yielded a very dramatic result. Nice answer. – Jakub Jun 18 '11 at 13:00
It's a good technique definitely. If you set the Blend mode to Overlay, you get a nice boost in contrast as well; you see the effect in a lot of wedding photography these days. Try it on a black and white image as well, some interesting toning effects. – ElendilTheTall Jun 18 '11 at 14:33
yeah that's what I did and i could not believe the contrast. I used B&W. This must produce the "bronze" skin tone look when used on a color photo. – Jakub Jun 18 '11 at 15:56

Use the brightness/contrast tool to reduce contrast, then use the colour balance tool and drag the highlights toward yellow and red, and the shadows toward cyan and blue.

share|improve this answer
yes, you are close, but there is one or two steps that still seem missing. – Muhammad Asjad Jun 8 '11 at 17:09

I would also recommend using a gradient map adjustment layer, you could even import that image and sample the colors to get you closer to where you want to be.

share|improve this answer
infact it appears that the left gradient color should be R:42 G:51 B:93 and right R:232 G:210 B:187 – Andrew Keippela Jun 8 '11 at 17:52
If you use a gradient adjustment layer, what blending mode do you use? Color, or something like Soft Light? – MikeW Mar 3 '12 at 23:03

Download a texture, wall or something rugged and copy the texture over your photo in photoshop as a new layer and set the blending mode of the texture to overlay or softlight. you can get here many free textures

share|improve this answer

You might as well want to look for an effect called "cross processing". Although I am aware it is not totally the effect of your example picture, but the principle is the same.

One example:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.