by ʇolɐǝz ǝɥʇ qoq

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering what's the name of the effect in this photograph. I've heard of Chromatic Aberration, but I'm not really sure.

In any case, is it possible to reproduce this kind of effect (without photoshop, of course)?

Luciano Supervielle

PS_ The photo is from Luciano Supervielle's latest album.

share|improve this question
Colin K is correct, this is an anaglyph (red/blue 3D) effect. But if you did want to create real chromatic aberration, see:… – coneslayer May 16 '11 at 16:13
up vote 14 down vote accepted

That is definitely not chromatic aberration. It looks like an artistic effect inspired by Anaglyph images, which are those old style 3D images that used red and blue goggles.

Edit: On further inspection it appears to actually be an anaglyph image, although it is of course possible that this was used as an artistic effect.

share|improve this answer
Right! I forgot to mention it looked like 3D on some spots, like on the glass. Definitely something to check out. Thanks! – Ignacio May 16 '11 at 16:15
I put on some 3D glasses (don't know why we had those at work) and it gives a really cool effect! The background, the guy and the glass seem to be on 3 different planes. Try it out. – Ignacio May 16 '11 at 18:07
The glass appears to be floating :) – Francesco Apr 29 '12 at 17:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.