Eye of the eclipse...

by darkhausen

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Sign up ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a 58mm filter threaded lens and I want to use my 77mm filters on it. I thought maybe I could buy a hood that is double threaded for different sizes. This would probably look less awkward than having a direct 58-77mm step up filter adapter on it. Does such a product exists?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I don't think it exists as the shape of a lens hood is determined by the angle of view of the lens, you would need a different step-up hood combo for every different filter diameter and every different focal length.

Also screwing on a filter inside the hood would be fiddly. What you want is a lens hood that attaches to a 77mm filter thread, but then I fear it would be fragile and prone to damaging the threads due to the bulk of the hood and the risk of knocking it.

share|improve this answer
Excellent reasoning Matt! – Itai May 6 '11 at 15:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.