Eye of the eclipse...

by darkhausen

submit your photo

Hall of Fame
View past winners from this year

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Sign up ×
Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here is an example of a bracketed photo with a range of detail on both ends of the exposure spectrum:

My question is: is there a filter (likely in Photoshop) that can take a set of bracketed photos and extracted/merge the photos?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

You are essentially talking about HDR. You can do it in Photoshop (File > Automate > Merge to HDR), or you can use dedicated software like Photomatix. It is tricky to get good looking results.

When done well they can be stunning - unfortunately they aren't often done well.

share|improve this answer
+1 @ElendilTheTall: Thanks, HDR being "High Dynamic Range", correct? Also, for those reading this, these appear to be finished examples of this post-production method: google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=high+dynamic+range+photography – blunders Apr 14 '11 at 12:08
High Dynamic Range, yes: in other words from the very darkest to the very brightest. – ElendilTheTall Apr 14 '11 at 12:21
There's different ways to compress a high-dynamic range scene into a final image, typically called an "HDR image", although really the dynamic range is just compressed — the output media isn't (usually) special. One technique is called "tone mapping", while the simple approach of blending bracketed exposures is "exposure blending". – mattdm Apr 14 '11 at 12:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.