Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been taking a few astro photos on a very high ISO, and have found what I think to be a few hot pixel. I though at first that I had managed to get a few very sharp pic of some red and blue stars. But now I have tried doing some stacking It seems that they are static to the rest of the moving sideways.

The thing that may have thrown me is that I thought that a 'hot pixel' was just that. A pixel, but it also seems to bleed outwards to make a small circle of a few faded pixels either side. Here is what I mean:

The image was saved as 'fine' quality on a D90 on a 2500mm telescope (1250mm with 2x teleconverter).

So are these hot pixels?

share|improve this question
The image you linked has expired. It is best to use the image tool to upload images to the local StackExchange content servers, so that temporal outages from other sites don't affect visibility here. – jrista Mar 26 '11 at 1:30
Thanks :) I will do so next time! – Designer023 Mar 28 '11 at 11:31
@Designer023 I know this is very old, but do you still have the original image, and could you replace it? Because this question is still theoretically useful to other people. – mattdm Mar 23 at 13:07
up vote 9 down vote accepted

A hot pixel is actually one or more hot photo sensors. Most camera sensor chips are made up of red, green and blue photo sensors, usually placed in a pattern similar to this:


Each of these photo sensors ends up as a pixel in the final image, but as each photo sensor only has information about one color component, information is used from the surrounding sensors. That is why a single hot photo sensor bleeds into several pixels.

share|improve this answer
Ah I see, so the one red pixel that is mis firing ends up having it's effect showing in the few around it on the image. Thanks :) – Designer023 Mar 25 '11 at 10:26
yes, it causes a colour defect in multiple points in the RAW – jwenting Mar 25 '11 at 14:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.