Before the rush

Before the rush
by evan-pak

Submit your Photo
Hall of Fame

Please participate in Meta
and help us grow.

Photography Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not talking about chimping in particular.

I'm talking about how some photographers will post their photos only to look for compliments and they'll show it to people who usually just tell them they really like the photo or the people in the photo (especially when it's a self portrait).

Is there a term for this type of compliment whoring and the people who submit the compliments?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by mattdm, Alan, Jay Lance Photography, Itai, jrista Mar 24 '11 at 4:34

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you looking for a derogatory term? Or some sort of scientific one? Is this in the context of having a friend you want helpful advice from? – mattdm Mar 23 '11 at 23:26
Is there something specific about photography, or would insecurity and flattery in general cover it? If you can rephrase this in terms of "how can I get constructive criticism from people who are too nice", then I have some thoughts, but otherwise, I think this is best migrated to – mattdm Mar 23 '11 at 23:29
As an aside, 'chimping' has nothing to do with complementing (or being derogatory) towards a photograph or photographer whatsoever. 'Chimping' is the practice of taking a picture with a digital camera and then looking at the LCD on the back to 'see how it came out.' Thus we get the phrase 'chimping your shots.' – Jay Lance Photography Mar 23 '11 at 23:51
To continue the aside, I think it's called "chimping" because then you "ooh, ahh" at the result, in the manner of an ape. So it has a little bit of that self-appreciating sense, but not exactly in the same way as used in the question here. – mattdm Mar 24 '11 at 0:38
This does come off as a bit derogatory and argumentative. I don't really want to push this off in the English-SE guys, as they will probably close it anyways. As such, I've closed it. – jrista Mar 24 '11 at 4:34
  • yes man/woman
  • flatterer
  • fawner
  • follower
  • footlicker
  • lackey
  • yea-sayer
  • easily-amusedist
  • lowered-expectationist
  • nice guy
  • virgin
share|improve this answer

I'd call them enablers or co-dependents.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.